You probably have had this many times using the soups. Now you have an option to make with all ingredients homemade.
1 large head fresh broccoli
1 large yellow onion chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh celery
2 cups Cooked rice of your choice
1 stick butter
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups whole milk
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
Pinch dry mustard (optional
Salt and pepper for seasoning
Wash, drain broccoli. Chop into fairly small cuts 1/2 stems or so. Steam covered 6-8 minutes in the microwave with very little water. You want it to be crisp tender, because you will be baking this dish. Drain and set aside.
Chop yellow onion and celery. Melt on low 1 Tbs butter. Saute onions and celery until onions are translucent. Set aside to cool slightly.
Grate cheese and set aside.
Make the Cheese Sauce
- In medium sauce pan on medium low heat melt 2 Tablespoons butter
- Add 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour and dry mustard if using.
- Whisk thoroughly, cooking 1 minute to cook flour.
- Slowly add 2 cups whole milk, whisking/mixing as you go. Stirring regularly to prevent lumps turn heat up if needed to cook and thicken. Do not rapid boil, adjust heat as needed.
- When thickened some add 1 1/2 cups grated cheese stirring. It will melt quickly.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place large casserole dish in oven with remaining butter to melt.
In large bowl add broccoli, cooked rice, onion/celery mixture, 1/2 cup grated cheese and cheese sauce, mixing gently with wooden spoon.
Place in preheated casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
Bake 30 - 45 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and browned to your liking.
**Note today I used one can of cream of chicken soup (I like the flavor sometimes). If you do this cut the cheese sauce in half. Cook the sauce and when cheese is melted add the canned soup. Add 1/3 cup of whole milk if needed to thin sauce.**